Going through a divorce is never easy. Besides the heartache, conflict, and anger between you and your ex, you must also deal with the complications of the divorce itself. These can vary from asset distribution to filling out tons of paperwork. Unfortunately, it doesn’t stop there.
What could be worse than spending month after month filing papers and trying to understand divorce laws? How about having to pay for the pleasure of doing so?
It may seem as though you’re already paying a lot for your separation. However, the various administrative fees you will be required to pay will just add insult to injury.
Potential Filing and Processing Fees
The divorce process can be extremely confusing and requires many different cogs to run smoothly. As a result, filing, court, and conference fees can quickly add up. Schedule 1 of the Family Court Regulation 1998 sets out the fees the Family Court of WA can charge. Although there have been attempts to raise these fees, the fees have remained relatively the same for the past 40 years.
There are a range of fees applicable in the Family Court here are five types of fee you could be expected to pay as you go through the divorce process:
- Filing fee. Paid to the court every time you have to file a document, this fee must be paid before the document is filed.
- Setting down fee. In order to set a date for a trial, this fee must be paid to the court in a timely manner.
- Hearing fee. A fee is charged for each day of a trial. These must be paid for by the date stipulated by the Court.
- Conciliated conference fee. This fee must be paid 28 days before the conference is scheduled to take place.
- Other service fees. There are also be fees for services such as filing a subpoena with the Court.
Making Your Money Count
Divorce can definitely wind up costing you a pretty penny. However, with the help of a lawyer who works exclusively in family law, you can make sure those pennies aren’t going to waste. Contact us today at (08) 9214 3887, or come visit us at our Perth office to get the guidance and support you deserve. Call now to ensure that your money isn’t being wasted on a poor judgement.